In a previous post, we discussed the importance of measuring the ROI from your content marketing strategy. If you aren’t getting the ROI you are looking for, then you will need to reflect on your strategy and find ways to improve on it.
The best place to start is by learning about the mistakes other content marketers make and see if you are making them yourself. About 88% of brands use content marketing, but only 30% do so effectively. Find out what the other 70% of brands are doing wrong and improve on your own strategy.
Content Marketing Pitfalls to Avoid At All Costs
Content marketing can be a very effective way to engage with existing customers and harvest new leads. Unfortunately, brands that make the following mistakes may have a hard time reaching their conversion goals.
Failing to Create a Strategy
The biggest mistake content marketers make is failing to create a strategy. As absurd as this sounds, less than 40% of B2C brands have a clearly outlined strategy. You need to really sit down and carefully define:
- Your target customers
- A long-term approach to engage with them
- Clear metrics to measure effectiveness
You will need to invest a lot of time and effort creating a strategy, but it is much better than wasting time and resources without a clear vision.
Being Overly Promotional
The whole point of content marketing is to build your brand image. However, you can’t take the old school advertising approach. People are reading your content for useful information. It’s okay to integrate some promotional messages into your content, but make sure the content provides real value to your readers.
Working With Low Quality Publishers
There are two elements of your content marketing strategy: generating content and finding platforms to syndicate it on. Guest blogging used to be one of the most popular ways to syndicate content. It is still very effective, but you need to be careful with the sites that you collaborate with these days.
Austin Paley, marketing communications director of Blue Fountain Media, said that even creating pristine content won’t help you if you are publishing it on low quality sites.
“In the past, good content marketing dictated that you should write high-quality content as often as possible for sites that requested it, but in the modern age you have to be a little bit more careful,” he told Business News Daily. “Even valuable, well-written content can become problematic if it is posted on a website that houses low-quality content.”
Neglecting to Optimize for SEO Keywords
Many brands don’t use SEO at all in their content marketing strategy. They view SEO as a lost art and are confident that their content will generate plenty of traction on social media. Nothing could be further from the truth!
You need to thoroughly research relevant keywords and make sure your content is well optimized. You will get more steady traffic and many of those visitors will share your content on their social networks as well.